Wednesday 25 September 2013

25 September 2013


tHiNk! tHiNk! tHiNk!
Put on your ...
 


Today, our Maths lesson were based on thinking skills. I can see that we covered on numbers and fractions. We had quiz too! But the timing was too fast! We had some hands on games. These hands on are more to problem solving. Dr. Yeap would like to know how are we able to create methods to solve 1 particular Maths problem.
 
 
Use 2 digits to make 2 digit number..
 
Dr Yeap gave us some small pieces of papers. We have to cut them equally into 9 pieces and write the number on each square paper ( number 0 -9 ). Use 2 numbers add to 2 numbers that will equal to 2 numbers! But we can only use the numbers only ones. We were not allowed to take or borrow numbers from any of our friends.  
 
 
My first step was to write all the numbers on each small piece of paper. Second, I started to think of 2 numbers. And I have to choose another 2 numbers to be added to the previous number. I have to bear in mind that numbers have to be used once ONLY.
 
 20130925_183716.jpg 
 
Next, I chose 2 numbers and I chose another 2 numbers. After adding it, I realized that I have to change the numbers as I'm going to use 6 for 2 times. It was a very good trial an error experiences. Now, I understand that children need to explore and to make mistakes as they will learn through mistakes and gained knowledge the right way to solve problem. From the pictures below, you can see the first trial that I made... There were many methods to do additions. The last one that I tried was to make bigger total number and I did it!
 
 

 Children need concrete materials for them to count and understand the concept. A true instructional designer, Bruner's work also suggests that a learner even of a very young age is capable of learning any material . Abacus is one of the top maths enrichment class, where children use the "abacus beads board" to understand the concept of calculating.  


 
 
The  beads represent the placing of the numbers. Example, 2 tens add 1 tens, 5 ones add 3 ones and so on. As we know that there are so many product (concrete materials) on counting.  Below, there are some pictures that we can support children by using these concrete materials.
 
 
Happy Counting!!


No comments:

Post a Comment